You are here: RoboHelp > Manage your project and topics > Creating topics in Microsoft Word
Create topics in Microsoft Word
You may not always have access to Adobe RoboHelp to compose topics.
With a few precautions, you can compose your topics in Microsoft Word
and then import them into RoboHelp:
- Do one of the following:
- Create each topic as a separate Word document, and store these
documents in a well-labeled folder. This approach will make importing
the files into RoboHelp much smoother.
- Create each topic in a single Word document, and apply the Heading 1 style to the main heading of each topic. In other words, you should have as many Heading 1 styles in your document as you have topics. This process is important because RoboHelp will use the Heading 1 styles to break your document into topics.
- Don't apply any manual formatting to your Word document or documents.
Don't change the fonts, sizes, colors, etc. Leave all headings
and body text in their default fonts. Otherwise, your topics won't
- When typing paragraphs, press Enter to end
each paragraph, and then start the next paragraph on the very next line.
- Don't press Tab or use the spacebar to create spacing. Likewise, don't press Enter to create extra spacing between paragraphs. Instead, set any desired
spacing and indentation in the style sheet within
- Apply the appropriate heading style to each heading. Use a Heading 1 style for the main headings, a Heading 2
style for the subheadings, and so on. These heading styles will carry
through in your RoboHelp project and will make for less formatting
- Use bulleted and numbered lists as appropriate by clicking the appropriate button on the Home ribbon.
After you've finished creating your topics in Word, you will then import
them into RoboHelp.