You are here: Captivate > Record the software demonstration
Record the software demonstration
Once you have set up your new project and have inserted any desired title and objective slides, you're ready to begin recording the software demonstration. Before recording the demonstration, however, make sure you have a script that steps you through the process. Also, rehearse using your script to make sure all features work as expected and fit within the recording area.
Once you're sure you are prepared and have everything set up correctly, you're ready to record. Remember to take your time to make deliberate mouse clicks and keyboard presses. You don't have to rush through anything because, for the most part, Captivate takes screen captures that are not recorded in "real time."
To record the software demonstration
- Make sure the software you want record is running and is ready for recording.
- In the Filmstrip, select the slide you want to the demonstration to appear under.
- On the toolbar, click Slides, and then click Software Simulation.
- Confirm the proper slide is selected, and then click OK.
- In the Select the window to record list, click the software you want to record.
- Select the Snap to window check box.
- Do one of the following:
- If you want Captivate to take screenshots automatically as you click and type, click Automatic.
- If you want Captivate to take full motion, real-time video instead of screenshots, click Video Demo.
- If you want to tell Captivate when to take screenshots, click Manual.
- Make sure the Mode list is set to Demo.
- In the Panning list, select an appropriate panning option if you want the window being recorded to shift based on the position of your pointer.
- In the Audio list, select an appropriate narration option based on whether you plan to record narration as you record your mouse and keyboard actions.
- If you want Captivate to capture sounds produced by the software you're recording, select the System Audio check box.
- When you're ready to start recording, click Record.
- When the countdown timer starts counting backward from 3, click inside the title bar of the software you're recording to ensure the window is active.