Create pages from your template
Once you have set up your template, you can begin generating additional webpages from the template at any time. Doing so before starting to insert and work with the navigation might be the optimal time.
To create a page from your template
- Make sure your site is open in Dreamweaver. Don't perform these steps
until you see your site listed in the Files panel!
- Switch to Design view. This method won't work
from Live view.
- On the Window menu, click
- In the Assets panel, click the Templates
Note If your template doesn't appear in the Templates panel, click the Refresh Site List button at the bottom of the panel.
- Right-click your template, and then click New from
Caution Don't click New Template! The word from makes a big difference!
To set up a new page based on a template
- Make sure you're viewing your new webpage in Design view.
- In the Document Title
box, select Add Title Here, and then type a unique name for the
Caution Don't leave just the placeholder title you typed into the template or, worse, Untitled
Document. Looking at the tab for the page will help remind you which page
you're working with.
- In the Content editable region, select the
placeholder text, and then type a meaningful heading for the page.
Note It's common for a webpage to have similar text for the document title, navigational entry, and main content heading.
- Assign a Heading 2 style to the heading you just typed in the previous step.
- On the File menu, click Save.
- In the Save As dialog box, in the File name box, type a name that clearly reflects the content of the page.
Caution Your home page MUST use a file name of index.html, or your site won't come up when published. Also, remember that files names cannot contain spaces or special characters.
- When you're ready, type your content or paste it from a Word file,
plain-text editor, etc. below the heading.
Note If you don't have
content yet, you can skip this step for now. If you paste text from Microsoft Word, use the Paste Special command (on the File menu, click Paste Special), and then click
Text with Structure. Remember that the Word document must have a blank line between each paragraph to paste cleanly into Dreamweaver.
- Repeat the steps in the previous section and in this section to create additional pages for your website.